Winter may be cold, wet, and windy at times, but it is also a great opportunity to make the most of hacking, providing your keep yourself warm and comfortable.
Here are some of our favourite ideas to make hacking as pleasurable as possible, whatever the weather:
- Invest in a riding skirt: Lots of hackers recommended wearing a riding skirt to keep warm and dry.
- Wear salopettes: Skiing trousers are also a popular choice.
- Leave your horse’s rug on over his quarters while tacking up, and put any riding clothes, yet to put on, (like gloves) under the rug. By the time ready the items are nice and warm.
- Wear a thermal vest and, if very cold, a long strappy top underneath, then a warm long-sleeved shirt, a fleece jumper, and a fleece gilet. Also wear thermal breeches, a body protector, and a warm Hi-Viz coat on top. Merino socks with heat savers and if very cold fleecy tights under socks.
- Buy bigger winter riding boots and wellies so they accommodate extra layers!
- Wear surgical gloves under riding gloves, or plastic bags between pairs of socks to lock in heat.
- Wear a long coat which unzips for riding.
- Heated clothes:Battery-operated heated clothes are also a good option.